The importance of protective packaging
Whether it’s b2b or b2c, if a package has arrived damaged to its destination, it most likely means a return. Every return is money loss and if this happens multiple times, it means not only material losses but a huge negative impact on a brand name and its future. In these days of great ecommerce experience, swift services, and fast door-to-door deliveries, it is very important to keep up with the competition. Huge companies know that minor things matter now like never before. Packaging, too, is important like never before, because it protects anything you are shipping or storing from outer impact.
Pallet edge protectors or pallet corner guards are a relatively new invention. In industrial usage, they protect products on a pallet from cutting, bumping, shifting, and crushing. They strengthen the packaging to keep your products at their place during storage, dispatch, transporting, and unloading. Usually, they are made of cardboard or plastic.
- Cardboard edge protectors are usually used in warehouses on the sides, tops, and bottoms of the square package. They can be applied both vertically and horizontally, protecting the corners, serving as amortization, and preventing cutting of the strapping.
- Heavy-duty plastic edge protectors for lashing are usually used for strapping securement and to soften the strap pressure into a box. Made of high-density polyethylene (hdpe) and of bright orange color for easy identification. A special slot design ensures a strap stays in its place and does not move, eliminating the friction against the load.
- Plastic edge protectors for shipping are used with up to 1-inch polyester, polypropylene, or steel strapping. The ribbed guide channels stop straps from moving and damaging packages.
What exactly they are used for
Shipping is the most dangerous stage for any product since after a dispatch it is no longer under a vendor’s control. Moving, pressing, falling, shifting, colliding, smashing - anything can change the product during shipping. That is why proper protective packaging is just as important as the product itself.
Load edge protectors of cardboard material are a very simple, cheap, and reliable way to protect your pallets. Here is what vendors and shippers buy them for:
- For stacking pallets. Whether applied vertically or horizontally on the edges, they facilitate stacking and strengthen the angles.
- Preventing from shifting. When applied to a pile of boxes or any other products in a form of a cube, packaging edge protectors covered with a stretch wrap will keep this shape until the destination is reached.
- Internal reinforcement. Cardboard vee boards put inside will keep the shape of the package and push the pressure out from the product.
- Protection from straps. Sometimes the tension on the packaging from the strapping is huge. And by securing the load with straps you can unintentionally damage your load when they rub against it.
- Angles protection. Available in various lengths can guarantee the corners of your package will remain sharp and new.
An edge protector cutter is another tool that may come in handy. It cuts cardboard edge protectors up to 4" x 4" x 0.4" size; has a heavy-duty construction with ergonomic handle; perfect for stationary or fully portable use.
Load corner protectors of plastic material are applied with strapping and are widely used by truckers for:
- Amortization, preventing the load from excessive pressure from a strap.
- Stopping a strap from moving, thus securing a package from damage.
- Reduces the wear and tear of the strapping.
- Ensures the strapping will withstand transportation.
Cost-effective reliable packaging
Packing is a tedious, time-consuming process that many shippers don't give much attention to. It should not be underestimated though. Shipping corner protectors may be your new favorite cargo securement because of their affordability and long dependable service.
Cardboard corner protectors: cardboard boards can be reused multiple times and recycled afterward, maintaining environmental sustainability. Besides, they can serve you as a place for additional brand advertising since you can print your brand name or any extra information on them.
Plastic corner protectors: if you are a trucker, you are responsible for proper load securement. If you use strapping, we highly recommend investing in plastic cargo corner protectors. They prevent straps from cutting your tarps or other packaging, they ensure your load is tightly fixed, with no pressure and friction on the packaging, minimizing the wear and tear of the straps at the same time.
The wide selection of edge protectors is also presented at our IDL Packaging Amazon Brand Store. Here you will find the best combination of prices and quality: relatively low cost of products but high reliability.
Also, we offer additional accessories for strapping that are sure to make the strapping process even easier and pain-free.
To pick the ideal product, you can simply compare the items by clicking the “add to compare” icon. If you cannot find or choose the necessary item, you can get a free personal consultation by clicking the